Sunday, May 23, 2010

I got it wrong - again

I got mothers day wrong again. Seriously, I'm not even kidding. Not today. Next Sunday. Papadada is ready to kill me. Who was the idiot who told me that in France it was the 3rd Sunday of May? And I swear all the billboards pointed to today. I even saw a man buying flowers today, so that about sealed the deal for me. And like I said to a stunned Papadada, I even saw heaps of mums out today. Such a dead giveaway, no?  Seeing I've tried to celebrate mothers day 4 times this month, I'm hoping Papadada won't ban it in this house for the next 4 years. That would be harsh. Way harsh.

We were invited for a fabulous lunch with some friends today, so of course I thought it only natural to tell them it was french mothers day. The done thing. So everyone wished me (the only mother there) a happy french mothers day. It was glorious. If only it was actually true. Lies. All lies.

So I confessed the truth to Papadada. I was flicking through my beloved green filofax and saw that today is actually 'Pentecost', not 'fete des meres' (mums day). That's when it dawned on me. Crapola. I've done it again. Error numero 3. Gulp. He looked at me like I had 5 eyeballs. There was silence between us for a few seconds. Then I made him go pick up the pizzas we ordered...'cause it's mothers day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment