Friday, April 23, 2010

"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much"


Hallelujah Helen Keller! Such a beautiful quote and none the better to describe what I'm going to be feeling for the next four days sans (that's french for without) Papadada.

Now that I've put Sticky Baby to bed (more hallelujahs!), I decide to look up synonyms for 'alone' just to rub salt in my lonely, deserted, forlorn wound. Some of my faves for your reading pleasure, just because they're WEIRD:

Batching it (?)
Hermit (That word is doing wonders for my self-esteem - I conjure up images of a hunch-backed, dirty-haired, wench....hmmm..BINGO!)
Me and my shadow (no kidding, that comes up in the entry)
Shag (??) (Is that where shag carpet comes from? God damn it, it just doesn't make sense!)
Traveling light (they have a point - Papadada does weigh in excess of 100kgs)

Sticky Baby, always my trusty companion, is here with me of course. But geez people, husband-less for 4 days is not cool. He's working, poor love, but his presence is sorely missed. 4 days and 4 nights with no one to swoop in and help with baths, bottles, nappies.....Gaaaaaahhhh!

I can do it, I can do it, I can do it....

I made a compulsory husband-is-away trip to Picard, frozen-food Nirvana. This is GOOD frozen food. Let me give you a sample of my lunch/dinner menu for the days to come, seeing as there is no way on God's green earth that I will feel like cooking at any given point on this solitary journey:

Moroccan chicken salad
Ham, cheese and mushroom crepes
Japanese bento box
Chicken and mushroom pasta

Not bad! So food is taken care of. Laundry and a quick clean of the house I did this morning while Papadada was still here. It was reminiscent of the scene in 'There's Something About Mary' where Magda is on speed and vacuuming under her couch. That's how fast I went to make sure that I wouldn't have to worry about household chores for the coming days. My mother would've been proud.

Boring logistics out of the way, the reality is that my nightly viewing of Home&Away and Neighbours just won't be the same without Papadada, otherwise known in our household as the 'Aussie Soap Opera Oracle'. Seriously. It's a God-given talent this man has. I know soaps are supposed to be predictable, but Papadada can foresee twists in the plot that would make the writers from The Bold & The Beautiful have joy-gasms.

Alf Stewart just said "Streuth, you flamin' galah!", so that's my cue to go! Wish me luck!

0 comments:

Post a Comment